River Valley Ranch, Inc. Trail Rides and Events
Starting today … River Valley Horse Ranch will be OPEN on Saturday and Sundays, from 10am to 5pm.
Call our reservation line @ 952-361-3361 to reserve your spot!
Remember that group reservations with 20 or more, in their party … save $5 per person (per hour).
Horse Quote Monday!
- Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields
- Horses make a landscape look beautiful. -Alice Walker
- A horse is the projection of peoples’ dreams about themselves – strong, powerful, beautiful – and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence. - Pam Brown
- Riding: The art of keeping a horse between you and the ground. ~Author Unknown
- All I pay my psychiatrist is the cost of feed and hay, and he’ll listen to me any day. ~Author Unknown
This was truly one of the best weekends, for horseback riding, that Minnesota has seen in a long time! A touch of fall was in the air, all along the Minnesota River Valley. The horses truly appreciated the cooler weather, as did we!
While we’re sure that you’d rather be out on the horse trails, we found a few places that may take your mind off the daily grind of a Monday.
Hope you enjoy the ride!
Don’t forget … River Valley Horse Ranch is Open Everyday 10:00 am – 7:00 pm for guided trail rides and horseback riding. River Valley Horse Ranch is the perfect setting for your next private event, corporate meeting or celebration! Reservation Line: 952-361-3361
Cool Horse Videos on Videopedia
- List of Historical Horses
- Famous Horses – Smithsonian
- Images of Famous Horses
- A Huge List of Horse Movies
- Famous Horse Names
If you can’t find the time to “Saddle Up” at the ranch … grab a seat and feel like you are.
Here are a few of the very best horse movies (in our opinion), for your enjoyment.
- National Velvet
- Black Beauty
- The Black Stallion
- Phar Lap
- Sea Biscuit
- The Horse Whisperer
- My Friend Flicka – all we could find is a cool link with static pictures. To bad:|
Remember River Valley Horse Ranch is open everyday … 10:00 am – 7:00 pm
Horseback Riding & Horseback Riding Event Inquiry Reservation Line • 952-361-3361
Once you’re up in the saddle, you’ll experience the beauty of manicured trails and the breathtaking Minnesota River Valley.
Our seasoned trail guides and ranch hands do whatever is necessary to ensure your safety and complete satisfaction. We have the right horse to match your riding ability.
Reservations for Horseback Riding and Group Trail Rides can be made by phone. CALL 952-361-3361
If you want a stable friendship, get a horse.
River Valley Horse Ranch is OPEN for trail rides on the weekends through April…10am to dusk…grab the family, office staff or group members and celebrate the coming of spring on horseback in the beautiful Minnesota River Valley.
This huge list of random horse facts are provided by…The Equinest…the greatest horse resource that we’ve found on the internet! Thanks, Paige!
Some you may already know and some maybe new to you. Horses are stranger than they look.
Here’s to learning something new today.
1. Leonardo da Vinci liked to draw horses.
2. An adult horse’s brain weights 22 oz, about half that of a human.
3. Horses can not vomit.
4. The first cloned horse was a Haflinger mare in Italy in 2003.
5. Until the 1960’s Dartmoor ponies were used to escort prisoners from local prisons while they were on outside duties.
6. The word chivalry comes from cheval the French word for horse.
7. Chariot racing was the first Olympic sport in 680 B.C.
8. The Dubai World Cup is 6 million dollars, the richest horse race purse in the world.
9. Horses like sweet flavors and will usually reject anything sour or bitter.
10. Like a fingerprint, every zebra has a unique stripe pattern.
11. To get an official measurement of a horses height, they must be measured without shoes.
12. Horses drink at least 25 gallons of water a day (more in hotter climates).
13. Horses teeth never stop growing.
14. Ragweed is responsible for more horse deaths than most other toxic plants.
15. It takes 9-12 months to re-grow an entire horse hoof.
16. Horses have been found in cave paintings that date back to around 15000 B.C.
17. You can tell if a horse is cold by feeling behind their ears. If that area is cold, so is the horse.
18. Mown grass cuttings can cause colic in horses.
19. Horses have 16 muscles in each ear, allowing them to rotate their ears 180 degrees.
20. According to Arabian folklore chestnut horses are the fastest and bravest of all colors.
21. Ponies live longer than horses and can live well into their 50’s.
22. The four horses of the apocalypse are said to signify the end of the world; conquest on a white horse, famine on a black horse, war on a red horse and plague on a pale horse.
23. A horse’s knee joint is the equivalent to a human wrist, and their hock joint is equivalent to the human ankle.
24. The gestation period for a mare is 11 months, for a female donkey it is 12 months.
25. Horses with pink skin can get a sunburn.
26. A small indent in a horses skin (usually on the neck or shoulder) is called a prophet’s mark and is considered good luck.
27. Mongolian tribes were the first to domesticate the horse, about 5000 years ago.
28. Legend has it that the Arabian horse was created by Allah, ‘out of a handful of the southern wind‘.
29. Horses have a great long term memory, (especially for places they were spooked).
30. The oldest horse on record lived to the age of 62 and died in 1822.
31. Horses thrive on routine, especially when it comes to food.
32. Giant white horses are carved in chalk on several hillsides in England. Some date back hundreds of years – folklore says that when King Arthur of he Round Table returns to the throne, one of the chalk horses would get up and dance.
33. The best way to determine the age of a horse is by examining it’s teeth.
34. You can tell if a horse is dehydrated by pinching their skin, if it takes time for the skin to return from the pinch, they need water.
35. A horses stomach should always make gurgling noises, an absence of them can mean colic.
36. If a horse has a red ribbon on it’s tail, it kicks.
37. Horses have 7 common blood types.
38. The largest horse museum in the world is the International Museum of the Horse in Kentucky.
39. In Greek mythology Apollo delivered the sun and the moon to the sky every day in his horse drawn chariot
40. Horses are social animals and will get lonely if kept alone.
41. Donkeys have been known to live 35-40 years.
42. Arabian horses have one fewer vertebrae and one less rib than other breeds.
43. When cantering, a horse takes a breath with every stride.
44. Horses will mourn the passing of a companion.
45. All horses have parasites in their stomach and intestines in small quantities, they only become a problem if the count builds up.
To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question!
There are so many cool resources on the Internet that share the health benefits of horseback riding. You will truly be amazed at how beneficial it really is…Fun too!
We stumbled upon a blog by Chet Day…a very simple but useful site that has a wealth of information.
A little snippet from Chet’s article on the benefits of horseback riding…Your muscles and joints are another area that can greatly benefit from horseback riding. The movements of the horse force you develop good muscle tone, this happen automatically and instinctively. While this is most noticeable in your thighs and calves, there is a a more holistic effect going on as well.
So how many calories do you actually burn horseback riding?
Not a gym person? Think about making a regular exercise regimen out of your favorite hobby. That’s what this horse enthusiast did. No matter what your age…remember horses double as friends!
Can’t think of a better reason to saddle up!
Open Weekends 10:00 am – Dusk
16480 Jonathan Carver Pkwy Carver, Minnesota 55315
River Valley Horse Ranch is very proud to be one of the original Twin Cities horse stables offering hourly horseback riding, pasture boarding and hourly trail rides, in the great state of Minnesota.
Minnesota Horseback Riding @ River Valley Ranch, Inc.
While searching the internet for our own marketing purposes, we found it very interesting how hard it is to find concise information on the art of horseback riding, trail ride opportunities and basic horseback riding skills.
Our top picks for the best of the best horse lovers, horseback riding and trail riding links on the internet today:
As the January thaw continues…remember River Valley Horse Ranch is open on the weekends 10 am until dusk for group trail rides and special events.
RIVER VALLEY RANCH, INC.
16480 Jonathan Carver Pkwy Carver, Minnesota 55315
Reservation phone: 952-361-3361
Remember…we’re open weekends…
November-April • Weekends 10:00 am – Dusk
There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. ~Winston Churchill
Just recently, the southern Minneapolis metro area lost one of our local horse ranches. It will be sorely missed by visitors to our beautiful southern Minnesota landscape.
Unfortunately, hourly horseback riding and guided trail rides are becoming more difficult to find!
River Valley Horse Ranch is one of the few places left in Minnesota, that offers hourly horseback riding, trail rides, horseback riding events and pasture horse boarding.
While searching for horseback riding stables and horse rentals throughout the state, we came across a few links that might be helpful for you in your travels.
We hope as the New Year approaches you find the time to get back up on the saddle again! River Valley Horse Ranch is open weekends…10am-dusk….every weekend through April 2010.
Contact us to learn more….Reservation Line 952-361-3361
HAPPY TRAILS TO YOU!